Our practice is built on a foundation of clinical excellence. Our team of Certified Nurse-Midwives utilize evidence on which to base the care you will receive. For each woman and her family, questions are elicited so we can tailor services for an individual’s needs. With our woman-centered approach, time spent in the pregnancy focuses not only on the physical but the equally important emotional well-being as you learn to adjust to the changes happening.
The Minnesota Birth Center midwife group has been carefully put together so that you know whomever you meet in labor, birth or postpartum will honor the care plans discussed in previous visits. Together, our team has well over 100 years of midwifery experience.
Relationship. Our care for you starts when you first contact MBC to discuss establishing care with us. In part, we do this with giving time. The first pregnancy appointment is an hour long. Return prenatal visits are scheduled for thirty minutes. Our well-woman exams are 60 minutes. This allows an opportunity for the provider to answer questions and discuss options. We also encourage you to consider joining our new mother’s group to extend your friendship circle with other like-minded families!
- Convenience. We offer in-house ultrasound services, lab draws and parenting education services. We also have locations in both Minneapolis and St. Paul.
- Education. A large part of the midwifery model includes teaching and helping you discover other sources of information from our community experts.
- A safety net. Our Certified Nurse-Midwives have admitting privileges at Abbott Northwestern and United hospitals should a mother need to transfer to a hospital facility at any point during her care with us. If it is a newborn referral, we work with the physicians at Children’s Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota as part our referral plan.
- Home Visits. As part of our early discharge follow-up, one of the MBC Registered Nurses comes to your home to visit and examine both mother and baby at approximately 24-36 hours postpartum. It is a time to discuss the birth experience, do some newborn testing, evaluate the family’s adjustment, and support a new mother’s breastfeeding efforts.
- Circle Care. We welcome you back to the St. Paul birth center at approximately two weeks postpartum for Circle Care. This service allows for a check-in with a midwife and a chance to connect with other parents who are in a similar place in their postpartum journey.
Minnesota Birth Center specializes in normal, physiologic birth. In order to help you achieve this, we offer a wide variety of comfort and coping measures including:
- Water birth pool in each of our birth suites
- Use of birth balls
- Use of birthing stools
- Use of labor slings
- Postpartum herbal bath and homemade bread
- Docking station for your music or guided imagery tracks
- Continuous labor support from your midwifery team
- Affordable doula support
- We welcome your family, friends should you choose to include them
- Beautiful surroundings during your care, which research has proven to raise oxytocin levels!
- Nitrous Oxide for pain relief, which is self-administered by the mother