Minnesota Birth Center is an independently owned and operated practice that is led by certified nurse-midwives in the Twin Cities. The freestanding birth center was founded in 2012 by perinatologist Dr. Steven Calvin, who is also the medical director. The CNM role is focused in the out-of-hospital setting; however, all CNMs have privileges at our collaborating hospitals to provide seamless care for our families. We have provided care at over 2000 and are continuing to grow. Minnesota Birth Center is very proud to have received the 2017 “Best of the Twin Cities” Award from the Birth and Baby Expo, ACNM’s Triple AIM Achievement (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018) and Four Core Perinatal Measure Designee (2015). We provide personalized care to low-risk clients. Please visit us at theminnesotabirthcenter.com to learn more.
- 10 CNMs,15 RNs that work in clinic and/or as birth assistants, and 12 administrative staff.
- 2 freestanding birth centers.
- 2 CNMs on call at a time.
- Privileges and Physician collaboration agreements at two hospitals: United in St. Paul and Abbott in Minneapolis; both are part of the Allina Health system.
- Clients have access to water birth, nitrous, labor slings, birth stools, in-house ultrasound, IBCLC, postpartum home visits, postpartum group care.
- VBACs available at United Hospital.
- 30-50 births a month.
- Well-care, family planning including birth control, STI screening, and other women’s health services.
- Core values include a respectful and collegial working environment, evidence-based care, and strong team leadership.
PER DIEM CERTIFIED NURSE-MIDWIFE
Details of the position:
- Must be able to work a minimum of 2-4 24-hour call shifts and 2-4 clinic shifts per quarter.
- Must be able to complete orientation period and comply with MBC procedures.
Ideal candidate will have:
- MN CNM and APRN licenses.
- At least 2 years experience working as a CNM in out-of-hospital birth center; or experienced hospital midwife with demonstrated confident practice may also be considered.
- Enthusiasm for the out-of-hospital birth center model.
- Ability to collaborate with a team and also practice independently with competence and confidence.
- Prompt responsiveness to team requests.
- BLS/NRP certification.
- Limited OB US certification preferred.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Ability to learn and become proficient in MBC’s EHR (Athena).
Interested candidates please send CV and cover letter to Emily Campbell, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Patricia Hinck, Clinical Director and CNM, at email@example.com.
PER DIEM birth assistant
Through outstanding clinical skills and respect for the physiologic birth process, the birth assistant (BA) is a collaborative team member who facilitates birth in a freestanding birth center, staffed by certified nurse-midwives.
To fill the role as per diem BA, the nurse must be able to work a minimum of 36 hours per month, both 1st and 2nd call shifts, night and weekend shifts, and one 12-hour holiday call shift per year.
- Work one-on-one with CNM during intrapartum care. BAs are called to birth center as determined by CNM.
- May care for clients in early labor at the birth center under the direction of the CNM.
- Provide labor support and intrapartum nursing care to low-risk birthing individuals, documenting on labor flowsheet.
- Directly assists CNM during labor, birth, and postpartum recovery as needed.
- Provide immediate postpartum nursing care and ongoing assessment of mother-baby dyad (including NRP if needed and PPH or other maternal emergency management under direction of CNM), documenting on postpartum and newborn flowsheets.
- Provide breastfeeding assessment, support, and assistance.
- Assess patients’ readiness for discharge and provide discharge education before discharging family to home.
- Complete terminal cleaning and restocking of birth room, to be done before birth assistant leaves the birth center.
- Provide and document postpartum nursing care and assessment of mom-baby dyad and breastfeeding at 24-48 hour home visits (weekend call shifts and PRN weekdays), consulting with CNM as needed.
- Help families prepare for early discharge by teaching Early Home Care class during third trimester.
- Attend scheduled meetings as specified in policy and/or requested by manager.
- Complete required charting and clinical documentation within 24 hours of patient encounter.
- Current RN license to practice nursing in Minnesota
- Current NRP certification
- Current BLS certification
- Must be located within 30 minutes of both birth centers and be accessible to on-call CNMs by phone.
- Proficient use of EMR; ability to learn Athena charting system.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and walk up and down stairs repeatedly.
- Commitment to the philosophy of out-of-hospital birth.
- Experience in L&D nursing highly preferred. Must be competent and confident to practice independently in birth center setting alongside a midwife.
- Highly qualified candidates without L&D experience may apply. If hired, may be required to undertake additional training and/or education above and beyond that provided by MBC to become competent.
- Demonstrates competence in interpersonal communication, clinical nursing skills, and cooperative teamwork.
- Flexibility in adapting to the ever-changing healthcare environment.
Interested candidates please send CV and cover letter to Emily Campbell, Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Anna Hepsø, Director of Nursing, at email@example.com.
Minnesota Birth Center accepts inquiries regarding our Doula Internship year-round; new internship sessions open every six months. Please direct inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.