Gluten-free and grain-free lemon poppyseed muffins made with real ingredients are a perfect weekend treat in celebration of National Nutrition Month. This recipe comes from Mommypotamus, a natural living blog filled with healthy recipes and insights into motherhood.
- 2 cups +2 tablespoons almond flour
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons sucanat or coconut sugar
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease nine muffin cups with butter or coconut oil.
- Set aside 2 teaspoons of almond flour. In a mixing bowl, combine the remaining almond flour with the coconut flour, salt, poppyseeds and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Add the flour to the egg mixture, then pour batter into muffin cups. Combine sucanat or coconut sugar with remaining almond flour and sprinkle over the top of the muffins. Bake for about 20 minutes – the tops should be springy yet firm when they’re ready. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then remove from the muffin pan.
Adapted from Mommypotamus