Healthy women giving birth in a birth center avoid the routine use of advanced technology and interventions that may not be most appropriate for normal physiologic birth. Women giving birth at Minnesota Birth Center receive skilled, continuous care and labor support from Certified Nurse-Midwives and Registered Nurses. Research has shown that continuous labor support decreases the need for epidural anesthesia, medical interventions, and cesarean sections.
MBC midwives attend VBACs at United Hospital’s Mother-Baby Center in St. Paul. Clients will have regular prenatal appointments with MBC midwives at either our St. Paul or Minneapolis birth center locations. We do not use VBAC calculators. We do not use arbitrary time constraints in labor. We are happy to allow labor to begin on its own, though we can offer suggestions at the end of pregnancy to help your body start labor.
In the hospital, continuous fetal monitoring will be used. At this time, water birth is not an option for those desiring VBAC, but laboring in the large United tubs in highly encouraged. Remote telemetry can be used both in and out of the water to allow for greater mobility.
If a repeat cesarean becomes necessary, MBC has a seamless transfer of care to our OB colleagues, the OB Hospitalist group at United Hospital. All of the midwives at MBC have a similar practice style, and all are highly supportive of vaginal birth after cesarean. We HIGHLY recommend having a VBAC supportive doula and participating in childbirth education.
If you would like to choose MBC to be your VBAC provider, we do request that you have your previous surgical records released to us so that we may review them. If you choose to have your baby through another provider, we wish you a wonderful and joyful birthing experience.
Yes! The midwives of the Minnesota Birth Center will be happy to attend your planned hospital birth at United Hospital Mother-Baby Center in St. Paul. We have a great partnership with United and enjoy working with the nurses and other staff as we partner to support your family’s growth. If an emergency situation develops, we have a seamless transfer/consultation system set up with the OB Hospitalist group. At this time we do not attend planned hospital births at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, except those needing to happen there for a medical indication.
Genetic testing, perinatal consultation, and high level ultrasound services are available to our families through Associates in Women’s Health.
If indicated, an early ultrasound will be performed or referred to an outside facility depending upon provider availability. We require a twenty week anatomy scan, which are offered in-house and performed by our Sonographers. Additional ultrasounds may be recommended based upon other factors.
- Nitrous Oxide for pain relief
- Water birth in our large labor pools
- Use of birth balls and birthing stool
- Freedom of movement
- iPod dock for soothing music
- Aromatherapy using Wyndmere essential oils
- Ability to eat and drink at will
- Continuous labor support from your midwifery team
Mothers and babies will receive a postpartum home visit with a nurse 24-48 hours after birth. During this visit the nurse will perform the newborn hearing and metabolic screen and assess mother’s physical and emotional well-being. At 1-2 weeks postpartum mothers are able to schedule an office visit with a midwife or a home visit with a RN. At 6 weeks postpartum mothers come in to the birth center for a visit with a midwife.
- MBC will accept paperwork once all client specific lines are completed – please ensure that your name and any other required info, such as employee ID or signature, are filled out. We will not complete paperwork with incomplete client information
- Our turnaround time for completion of paperwork is 5 business days.
- We accept disability/FMLA paperwork via hard copy, email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and fax (612-224-9622). For ease of processing, submission by email is preferred.
- Forms submitted prenatally will be accepted no earlier than the 36 week appointment, unless earlier completion is required by your policy.
- Forms submitted will be available for pick up at your next weekly visit, or we can submit via fax per your need/preference.
- Annual exams
- Pap smears
- STD screening
- Preconception counseling
- Family planning and contraceptive care